Maintaining Data Privacy and Data Protection is a priority for Mer. Please read this Customer Privacy Notice carefully to understand when we may collect personal data, how and why we use it, the legal basis of this use, and your rights with respect to the processing
1. Who we are
The company responsible for this website is:
Mer, Unit 54, Consett Business Park, Consett, County Durham, DH8 6BN
Mer is registered in England and Wales with company number 9002413.
Please direct any questions relating to Data Privacy including this notice to our Data Protection Officer. They can be contacted by email at [email protected], in writing at the above address or by calling 03300 562 562.
2. Personal data we may collect
Through your use of this website and/or your purchase of products or services offered by Mer we may collect, store and process the following data about you:
- Contact and Identity Information: details of how to contact you, e.g. title, name, address, email address, telephone numbers, any other information you choose to divulge as part of a query.
- Property Information: details of a property / location, e.g. address, availability of off-street parking.
- Vehicle Information: details of a vehicle, e.g. make, model, registration mark, year of manufacture.
- Marketing Preference Information: details of your consent for us to send marketing materials, preferred channels.
- Payment Information: details of payment card, e.g. card number, expiry, CVC, cardholder and details of payments to and from you and other details of products and services you have purchased from us.
- Cookies Information: information about website visits, interactions.
- Customer Services Information: recording/reporting of faults, issues with the charging network.
- Usage Data: details of electric usage from a charging unit.
3. When do we collect your personal data and what do we use it for?
If you decide to contact us you will be invited to provide Contact and Identity Information that will allow us to handle your enquiry effectively. We may also invite you to provide Marketing Preference Information. Provision of this data is completely voluntary, and our legal basis in processing this data is legitimate interest, namely our desire to respond to your enquiry. We need the information you provide to do so effectively, and judge that this is how you would expect us to use the information supplied.
If your enquiry relates to potential purchase of products or services from us, you will be invited to provide additional personal data needed for us to handle your enquiry effectively. This may include Property and/or Vehicle Information. Provision of this data is completely voluntary, and our legal basis for processing this data is that the processing is necessary for the purposes of entering into a contract with you.
If you decide to purchase goods or services from us, we will collect Contact and Identity Information and Payment Information so we can execute the transaction. Our legal basis for processing this data is that the processing is necessary for the purposes of performing a contract with you.
If you purchase a communicating unit, we will collect usage data as part of our service to you and, if agreed, will provide you with this data via our online customer portal. Our legal basis for processing this data is that the processing is necessary for the purposes of performing a contract with you.
If you call us to discuss any faults found with the charging network or your Homecharge unit or if you have another issue or query, we will record your information against your account. This is so that we can track the fault and ensure that it has been managed in a way that is appropriate to the fault found. The legal basis for this processing is that the processing is necessary for the purposes of performing a contract with you.
If you decide to provide us with Marketing Preference Information indicating consent for us to send you marketing information, we will retain this data and use it along with the associated Contact Information to deliver information about products and services we feel may be of interest to you. Our legal basis for processing data under these circumstances is consent.
If you are an existing or past customer, we may use your personal data to send you marketing information relating to similar products or services which you have purchased in the past and which we feel may be of interest to you. Our legal basis for processing data under these circumstances is legitimate interests.
We may also use your personal data to the extent necessary for our legitimate interests, such as:
- allowing us to effectively and efficiently manage and administer the operation of our business, including conducting any business analysis or market research;
- maintaining compliance with internal policies; and
- in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights or for the purpose of legal proceedings.
You may only provide us with the personal data of another person if you have previously obtained that person’s consent to the processing of their personal data, have informed them of our identity as a data controller and of the nature of the processing taking place. Records must be retained by you as evidence of this consent and provided to us on request.
Where we are processing your data based on your consent, you can withdraw this consent at any time. We provide simple ways of doing this where we can (e.g. cookie consent form, unsubscribe links in emails). In any instance you can ask for your consent to be withdrawn by contacting us by email at [email protected] or by phone or letter to our Customer Services team. Customer Service contact details are provided on our website and written communications.
4. How long do we keep your information?
M operates a clear retention policy to ensure personal data is kept only for so long as is necessary for the purpose for which such information is collected, after which we make it non-identifiable or delete it.
The actual length of time data is retained will depend on the purpose for which it was collected. In the case of Contact Information relating to an enquiry not resulting in any further agreement between us, we will delete personal data six (6) months after the date of our last contact. For webshop purchases, we do not retain payment card details after completion of the payment transaction.
You have certain rights to request deletion of your personal data at any time under the rights described below (in the Your rights relating to personal data section below).
5. Who do we share your data with?
We may share your personal data with third parties to the extent necessary for the purposes set out in this Customer Privacy Notice including in the circumstances more particularly described below.
We contract with third parties to host the servers supporting our websites and other aspects of our operations and it may be necessary to share your personal data with these third parties in connection with the purposes set out in this Customer Privacy Notice. These servers are installed in secure datacentres located within the EEA.
For web shop sales, we share payment card details with our payment card processor.
We may disclose your personal data to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, strategic partner(s) or strategic sponsor(s), our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006 in connection with the purposes set out in this Customer Privacy Notice.
As part of our GDPR compliance obligations, we are duty bound to check when personal data may be shared with third parties to ensure that they apply the same or greater controls in terms of data protection. The use of non-disclosure agreements forms part of our third-party data sharing controls.
We may also disclose your personal data to third parties:
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets; or
- if we or substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about our customers will be one of the transferred assets; or
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation or in order to enforce or apply other agreements; or
Your personal data may be sent to your local distribution network operator to ensure that your charging unit can be fitted at your property without causing issues with the local electrical supply. This is passed on as part of the contract if you are purchasing a charging unit.
Your personal data may be sent to the National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting (NICEIC) to confirm that the installation of your charging unit meets the correct installation requirements and is recorded as part of the standard NICEIC requirements. This information is passed on as part of the contract if you are purchasing a charging unit.
Your personal data may be sent to the Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) and other relevant third parties to enable us to apply for a government Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme grant on your behalf. This information is passed on as part of the contract if you are purchasing a homecharging unit.
We may make minor changes to this Customer Privacy Notice in the future and will post these to this page on our website. If we make any significant changes, we will take additional steps to inform you.
7. Your rights relating to personal data
You have certain rights in relation to your personal data which we aim to uphold as follows. Please note that rights are not absolute and are subject to certain qualification and exceptions.
- Right to be informed: You have the right to receive clear, transparent and understandable information about how we process your personal data. Our Customer Privacy Notices, including this one, aim to meet this need.
- Right to access: You can ask us for a copy of personal data we hold about you.
- Right to rectification: You can ask us to correct any error you identify in personal data we hold about you.
- Right to erasure: You can ask us to delete data we hold about you. We will do so unless we have a compelling reason to retain (e.g. legal requirement, prevention of fraud).
- Right to restrict processing: You can ask us to stop using your personal data.
- Right to data portability: You can ask us to provide your personal data in a form suitable for use by another organisation.
- Right to object: You can object to our processing of your personal data where we are doing so under the legal basis of legitimate interest.
- Right not to be subject to automated decision-making including profiling: we don’t do this so this right has no relevance in this context.
If you would like to contact us in connection with exercising any of these rights, please do by email to [email protected] or by phone or by letter to our Customer Services team. Customer Service contact details are provided on our website and written communications. We aim to respond to any requests you make within seven (7) working days.
8. Queries and complaints
If you have questions or concerns in relation to our handling of your personal data, please contact our Data Protection Officer using the contact details provided at the top of this notice.
9. Website links
Our website may contain links to third-party sites. This Customer Privacy Notice does not apply to those third-party sites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these sites or their policies.
10. List of cookies
|_fbp||non-necessary||3 months||This cookie is set by Facebook to display advertisements when either on Facebook or on a digital platform powered by Facebook advertising, after visiting the website.|
|_ga||non-necessary||2 years||The _ga cookie, installed by Google Analytics, calculates visitor, session and campaign data and also keeps track of site usage for the site's analytics report. The cookie stores information anonymously and assigns a randomly generated number to recognize unique visitors.|
|_gat_gtag_UA_212973406_1||non-necessary||1 minute||Set by Google to distinguish users.|
|_gid||non-necessary||1 day||Installed by Google Analytics, _gid cookie stores information on how visitors use a website, while also creating an analytics report of the website's performance. Some of the data that are collected include the number of visitors, their source, and the pages they visit anonymously.|
|_GRECAPTCHA||non-necessary||5 months 27 days||This cookie is set by the Google recaptcha service to identify bots to protect the website against malicious spam attacks.|
|CONSENT||non-necessary||2 years||YouTube sets this cookie via embedded youtube-videos and registers anonymous statistical data.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-advertisement||non-necessary||1 year||Set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin, this cookie is used to record the user consent for the cookies in the "Advertisement" category .|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-analytics||necessary||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-functional||necessary||11 months||The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary||necessary||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-others||necessary||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance||necessary||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".|
|fr||non-necessary||3 months||Facebook sets this cookie to show relevant advertisements to users by tracking user behaviour across the web, on sites that have Facebook pixel or Facebook social plugin.|
|VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE||non-necessary||5 months 27 days||A cookie set by YouTube to measure bandwidth that determines whether the user gets the new or old player interface.|
|YSC||non-necessary||session||YSC cookie is set by Youtube and is used to track the views of embedded videos on Youtube pages.|
|yt-remote-connected-devices||non-necessary||never||YouTube sets this cookie to store the video preferences of the user using embedded YouTube video.|
|yt-remote-device-id||non-necessary||never||YouTube sets this cookie to store the video preferences of the user using embedded YouTube video.|